Friday, July 8, 2011

Beginner's mind, spring and alleyway wanderings


Where did the time go? I can't believe it's July already, the garden is growing on my balcony, but I have had other pursuits, social engagements, working full time and projects on the go.
This year I decided to buy seeds to grow organic vegetables, and I have to be honest, I got scared. And as usual with fear it's fight or flight and I avoided starting them indoors, I felt like an inexperienced first time mother fretting about everything that could go wrong, mildew, lack of light, too much water, not enough water, soil depth, instead I decided to start them on my balcony on May 23rd. And I experienced the delight of falling back into what is known as beginner's mind by those who study zen, a place of peace, of non-judgement, of engaging with what is needed to be done, pots filled with soil, careful arrangement of seeds, watering, the essentials, nature instructed me to let go of all my judgement, and fears. I knew exactly what to do, and low and behold, I grew seeds. They have grown into swiss chard, carrots, arugula, red leaf lettuce, radish all before my eyes. Miraculous. Well, not really, but it's my first time.
In the spring I went for a walk at the peak of magnolia and cherry blossom season and have included a few snaps of their redolent beauty. And finally I have included some photos that are inspired by the beginning of a call to photograph the plants that grow in the hidden spaces of Toronto, the spaces between pavements, alleyways, abandoned structures, I love the ability of nature to rest in the cracks of concrete, beside the walls of houses, underneath tar. Here is a beginning of what I see becoming a larger exploration.









1 comment:

  1. I love the photos, they're so beautiful. I love the tender mercy of your gazing eye on the beauty all around you. If you so feel inclined, offer tobacco. We have such a beautiful home.

    ReplyDelete